Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Interesting

Since every major except two leads *half or more* of its recipients to be dissatisfied with their careers, it might be better to ask why studying chemical engineering or management information systems leads to job satisfaction, and whether we can use the answer to better prepare students of all majors for their lives ahead. That seems more likely to have a positive affect than finding better ways to move humanities majors into fields whose satisfaction level is not much higher.


Responder:

I think the answer to that question is fairly simple. If you study chemical engineering, or management information systems, or accounting, you pretty much know what you're getting into.


That's actually a really interesting question, and that answer can't be the right one. The number 1 reason people in my class are in my class? "I wanted to do engineering but I wasn't sure which so I just picked this one". Oh and there's this tidbit: "I went into enviro because I wanted to do engineering and wasn't sure which, chem was my second choice".

So basically my major is a collection pool of engineering students that weren't sure what they wanted to engineer. I'm pretty sure most of us didn't even know what chemical engineers did until second year.

My answer? *shrug*

No comments: